Thursday, November 19, 2009

Me and my MUMMER BUM!


Everything has been about MUMMERS this week. Mummers, Mummers everywhere! The Historic Sites Association is having a gallery show at their Water Street location based on Mummers and it opens Thursday, Nov. 26. We have done a piece for the show and have also been asked to display our original mummers.

Before I moved to Newfoundland and knew what mummers were, SHE often told me that I was dressed like a mummer. Now, although I did wear eccentric, somewhat kooky outfits years ago, I don't know that I would go so far as to say I was dressed like a mummer. At least I always managed to keep my underpants and bra UNDER my outer clothes.
Just the other day, we were getting ready to go to St. John's and SHE said, "That coat looks really funny with that hat and scarf...you look like you are going mummering.....do you think you should change?"

I asked, "Don't mummers often stuff pillows in the bum of their pants and up their shirts to disguise themselves and make themselves look bigger?"

"YES!" SHE exclaimed. "Like I said, you look like a mummer!"

And then she ran into the backyard and up the hill.

I haven't seen her since.

No comments: