Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rise

This past week I thought a lot about the weather. How, even on the darkest, coldest, ugliest days, we rise. It's easy in the summer, to wake up to a beautiful sunrise and feel the warmth on your shoulders as you start the day. It's a lot harder in the winter. And yet, we rise.


I just finished this painting...it is a biggy...3 feet by 4 feet and I LOVED working on it. The water soluble oils are marvelous, though I am quite a messy mess-maker and the fact that it takes forever for them to dry isn't good for anyone. Coco has a funny orangey-pink patch on her caboose that just won't come out. (I do too, but we'll talk about THAT another day....)


Photo: "Rise" by Cara Kansala

Celebrating Newfoundland Sunrises

3 feet x 4 feet Water Sol. Oil on Canvas

2 comments:

LoriW said...

Gorgeous.

Janet Davis said...

It's a beauty, Cara. You've really captured that 'make your eyes twinkle and melt a bit to see the glint of sun and sea look'.

It's been easier, getting out of bed lately, with the sun in the room (or at least proof that there is one beyond the grey). I find it extremely difficult to get up in the dark.

My house with it's big curtainless windows show me amazing sunrises, which I enjoy more than I can say after living in a basement bedroom for a few years!