Saturday, November 10, 2012

Off the Hook......



These are my two little cream-puff nieces. One is now 10 and the other is only a few months new. Their little hats and dresses and stuffed creatures and pupypets were crocheted by me...their crochet-crazy aunty. Several years ago, SHE took away my hooks, yarns, buttons and threads for what She says, was my own safety and sanity. I was off the hook. Crocheting was my Jack Daniels, my chocolate filled eclairs... my crack. I didn't use patterns - just made these clothes and creatures up in my head - but when I started I couldn't stop. I wouldn't go to bed or sleep or do anything else. I made shoes and German Bears and Ballerina Mice and jumpers and booties and dresses. SHE was given dozens upon dozens of personalized caps, balaclavas and berets but they have somehow gone missing. I don't have any children of my own in need of woollen treasures but I have noticed that the Wee Italian could do with a jaunty crocheted dickie. It is getting chilly and he is from foreign lands. Perhaps I should go on a hunt for the hooks that She has buried away.......
"After the show opens......" she tells me, "then you will have time and I will give you back your yarn bag."
Somehow, I don't believe Her. If anyone wants to slip a hook in my pocket the next time you see me, there might be a YOU-SIZED crocheted happy helmet in your future. Just Sayin'.......

Image: Foofi Needs a Dickie

No comments: